My mouth is watering just thinking about writing about this dish. My gal pal, Independent Scentsy Consultant, and keeper of my dirty little secrets turned me on to this recipe by Let’s Dish Recipes. I’ve made this many times and each time I have swapped out different ingredients to change it up a bit. The best thing about easy and delicious recipes like this one is you really have to try hard to mess it up. After all, it’s mainly green chili and cheese and tortillas. Three of my favorite things.
I’ve made this with shrimp instead of chicken, added spinach, used corn tortillas instead of flour, and last night I used vegetable broth instead of chicken because that’s what I had in the house. I never have real butter (such shame I know) so I typically leave it out. Also, I use Greek yogurt instead of sour cream. Not only do you save on calories and fat BIG TIME, but you get an insane amount of protein in your meal.
I make these over and over again. Easy-peasy. Enjoy!
- 8 soft taco size flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded Monterrey jack cheese, divided
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 3 tablespoons butter (optional)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup fat-free Greek yogurt
- 2 (4 oz) can green chilies, diced
- Fresh cilantro for garnish, chopped (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 425º
- Combine shredded chicken with 1 cup shredded cheese
- Place an equal amount of the chicken and cheese mix into each tortilla
- Roll up tortilla and place seam-side down in a lightly Pam’d baking dish
- In a skillet or saucepan, melt the butter
- Stir in the flour and cook 1 minute
- Add the chicken broth, whisking until smooth
- Cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly
- Stir in the Greek yogurt and green chilies
- Pour over the top of the enchiladas and cover with the remaining shredded cheese
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the top is golden brown, sprinkle with cilantro and serve