In my never ending quest to learn the universal magic (i.e. science) behind baking, I’ve been repeating the same microwave vanilla mug cake recipe over and over again. During this arduous (yet tasty) process, I started craving something (anything!) chocolate. I recalled this recipe from way back in my premarital days when I’d come home late and craving something sweet. Only, I’d just have a few packets of hot cocoa and applesauce in the pantry. It wasn’t la mousse au chocolat, but it was definitely sweet and satisfying.
Having long forgotten the math of hot chocolate + water = cake2, I came upon this recipe on BigOven.com. It definitely re-inspired my take on chocolate cake for one. This version is a bit more mature (for example, it no longer considers a glass of skim milk breakfast), and it is a definite must have for those keeping gluten and dairy free. If you are not dietarily restricted, you can definitely use all-purpose flour and regular chocolate chips. There is something beyond heavenly about Enjoy Life Chocolate Mega Chunks, however, and with absolute no butter or oil in this recipe the only chunky you’ll find here are these creamy, melted hunks of dreamy chocolate.
- 6 Tbs dry, hot chocolate mix
- 4 Tbs white rice flour
- 2 Tbs applesauce
- 3 Tbs water
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbs Enjoy Life Chocolate Mega Chunks
- Mini Marshmallows (optional)
- Using a fork, stir together the hot chocolate mix and flour in a microwave safe ceramic mug.
- Add in applesauce, water, vanilla, and chocolate chunks. Stir until well combined and no dry ingredients remain.
- Microwave on high for 90 seconds, adding 10 seconds at a time as needed. Dessert is ready when the edges are baked and the center is still warm and gooey.
- Garnish with marshmallows if desired.