Spring is here! Spring is here! Spring is here! Better start shaping up for the Summer…. of 2018 that is. Now that I’ve got my sweater body where I want it, I though we could slim down with some of these very cheeky and very cherry mini cupcakes.
You may think I’m being cheeky, but I swear it’s not a tease! These super yummy mini-cupcakes are made with egg whites and applesauce, coming in at about 70 calories per cupcake. But if you like cupcakes like I do then who really cares? Go ahead and shower yourself with sprinkles! Then take a real shower because like making out à la From Here to Eternity; those little buggers get everywhere.
My daughter and I made these for a “just because”, and because they are based on My Little Pony Mrs Cake Cutie Mark Cupcakes by Rosanna Pansino. Our daughter is loco for MLP as well as maraschino cherries AND she is super cheeky (thus the name of these little nom noms).
Before we begin, be sure to let your butter get to room temperature before you start baking. A helpful tip is taking your butter out of the fridge about 2 hours before baking or if you are a plan-a-header you can set it out overnight. I promise you this is totally safe. The cream that’s used to make your standard market variety butter is almost always pasteurized, and it takes some time for pasteurized dairy products to go bad (learn more here).
Now let’s get cheeky…
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup shortening (such as Crisco)
- ¼ cup applesauce
- 1½ cups confectioners sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 4 egg whites
- ½ cup skim milk
- 1 (10 oz) jar maraschino cherries in juice, stems removed
- Pink buttercream frosting
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Prepare mini cupcake tins with mini cupcake liners, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, cream together the shortening and applesauce. Adding a small amount at a time, cream in the powdered sugar. Mix in the vanilla and almond extract. Add the egg whites one at a time, mixing after each addition.
- In a measuring cup, add ½ cup skim milk and about ½ cup of the maraschino cherry juice to equal 1 cup of liquid.
- On a low setting with an electric or stand mixer, alternate adding the wet and dry ingredients to the butter mix, starting and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Pour the batter into large ziplock bags, seal closed so nothing leaks out. Using scissors, cut off one corner of the bag to make a piping bag. Full mini-cupcake liners 2/3 full.
- Bake for 11 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool 1 minute in the cupcake pans then transfer to wire rack. Cool completely before decorating.
- Using your favorite frosting tip and pink buttercream frosting, start in the middle of a single cupcake. Pipe frosting from the middle to the edge closest to you, then around and back over the middle. Top with a single maraschino cherry, stem removed. Repeat with the remaining cupcakes.